Welcome to Smallwood State Park
Smallwood State Park takes its name from General View of the Smallwood HouseWilliam Smallwood, a native born Charles Countian. He was the highest ranked Marylander who served in the American Revolutionary War. His house, called Smallwood's Retreat, has been restored and is open to visitors seasonally. Besides the restored house, the 628 acre park offers a marina, boat launching ramps, a picnic area, camping area, pavilions, a recycled tire playground and nature trails. On occasion, there are craft demonstrations, military exhibitions and other special events. Smallwood State Park was dedicated in September 1958, as a historic park. At the time, the park consisted of 30 acres of land which included the Retreat House and the grave site of General William Smallwood. Smallwood reached the rank of major general for his service as a patriot leader during the Revolutionary War. He was elected Governor of Maryland in 1785, and later served in the Maryland Senate. During his term as the 4th Governor of Maryland, Maryland ratified the Federal Constitution. The plantation house reflects Smallwood's lifestyle as a gentleman planter. Smallwood's Retreat plantation house is open free to the public from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on the first and third Sunday of each month from May until the end of September. Tours are conducted by costumed docents. Group tours are available upon request. For information about scheduling a group tour call 301-743-7613.